The North Carolina Writers’ Network is now accepting submissions for its annual Doris Betts Fiction Prize, administered by the North Carolina Literary Review.
The Doris Betts Fiction Prize awards $250 and publication in the NCLR to the author of the winning short story, up to 6,000 words. The contest is open to any writer who is a legal resident of North Carolina, a member of the North Carolina Writers’ Network, or a subscriber to the NCLR.
Robert Wallace of Durham won the 2010 Betts prize for his story “As Breaks the Wave Upon the Sea.”
Entries to the 2011 contest can be submitted through the NCLR’s online submission process at www.nclr.ecu.edu/submissions/submit-online.html. Full submission guidelines, including entry fees, are listed below.
Doris Betts Fiction Prize
Postmark Deadline: February 15 (annual)
Submissions Accepted from January 1 – February 15
The Doris Betts Fiction Prize awards the first-prize winner $250 and publication in the North Carolina Literary Review. Finalists will also be considered for publication in the NCLR.
Eligibility and Guidelines
- The competition is open to any writer who is a legal resident of North Carolina or a member of the North Carolina Writers’ Network. North Carolina Literary Review subscribers with North Carolina connections (lives or has lived in NC) are also eligible.
- The competition is for short stories up to 6,000 words. One entry per writer. No novel excerpts.
- Submit story electronically via the NCLR’s online submission process. For electronic submission instructions and to start the online submission process, go to: www.nclr.ecu.edu/submissions/submit-online.html.
- Names should not appear in the Word file of the story; authors will register with the NCLR’s online submission system, which will collect contact information and connect it to story submission.
- An entry fee must be mailed to the NCLR office (address below) by the postmark deadline (February 15 each year).
- You may pay the Network member/NCLR subscriber entry fee if you join NCWN or subscribe to the NCLR with your submission:
$10/NCWN members and/or NCLR subscribers
$20/nonmembers (must be a North Carolina resident)
- Checks for submission fee and/or Network membership should be made PAYABLE TO the North Carolina Writers’ Network (separate checks payable to the NCLR only if purchasing a subscription).
- Mail checks or money orders to:
North Carolina Literary Review
ECU Mailstop 555 English
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
The winner and finalists will be announced in May. Winning story and select finalists will be published in the next year’s issue of the North Carolina Literary Review.