- Category: Network News
- Published on Wednesday, 18 November 2009 20:20
Doris Betts Fiction Prize
Postmark Deadline: February 1 (annual)
The North Carolina Literary Review Fiction Editor Liza Wieland is now accepting submissions for the 2010 Doris Betts Fiction Prize competition, sponsored by the North Carolina Writers Network and the North Carolina Literary Review. Deadline February 1. First prize is $250. The winning story and select finalists will be published in NCLR
Please note: NCLR’s website has recently been updated, so the link to the “submit it online” section that was previously posted on the North Carolina Writers Network website and sent out with early notices has changed. The new link is:
Or, you can just go to NCLR’s home page, www.nclr.ecu.edu, and click on submissions, then the submit tab.
If you have difficulty navigating our new electronic submission process, be assured, we will respond to your emailed questions, and if you mail your submission fee check in, postmarked by Feb. 1, your story will be considered in the competition.
Eligibility & Guidelines
- The competition is open to any writer who is a legal resident of North Carolina or a member of the North Carolina Writers’ Network. North Carolina Literary Review subscribers with North Carolina connections (lives or has lived in NC) are also eligible.
- The competition is for short stories up to 6,000 words. One entry per writer. No novel excerpts.
- Submit stories electronically via the NCLR’s online submission process. For electronic submission instructions and to start the online submission process, go to: http://www.nclr.ecu.edu/submissions/submit-online.html.
- Names should not appear in the Word file of the story; authors will register with the NCLR’s online submission system, which will collect contact information and connect it to story submission.
- An entry fee must be mailed to the NCLR office (address below) by the postmark deadline (Feb. 1 each year, or Jan. 31 if Feb. 1 falls on a Sunday).
- You may pay the Network member/NCLR subscriber entry fee if you join NCWN or subscribe to the NCLR with your submission:
$10/NCWN members and/or NCLR subscribers
$20/nonmembers (must be a North Carolina resident)
- Checks for submission fee and/or Network membership should be made PAYABLE TO the North Carolina Writers’ Network (separate checks payable to NCLR only if purchasing a subscription).
- Mail checks or money orders to:
North Carolina Literary Review
ECU Mailstop 555 English
Greenville, NC 27858-4353