Category: Network News
Published: 14 November 2011
Next Tuesday, January 17 is the postmark deadline for 2012 Rose Post Creative Nonfiction Competition, sponsored by the North Carolina Writers' Network and coordinated by the creative writing program at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. And the best part is, the upcoming holiday weekend means a whole extra day to get your manuscript submission-ready!
The Rose Post Creative Nonfiction Competition encourages the creation of lasting nonfiction work that is outside the realm of conventional journalism and has relevance to North Carolinians. Subjects may include traditional categories such as reviews, travel articles, profiles or interviews, place/history pieces, or culture criticism. The first-, second-, and third-place winners will receive $300, $200, and $100 respectively. The winning entry will be considered for publication by Southern Cultures magazine.
Award-winning author Anne Clinard Barnhill will be the final judge. Barnhill has signed a two-book deal with St. Martin's Press, and her debut novel, At the Mercy of the Queen, was published this month. Her poetry chapbook, Coal, Baby, will also appear in early 2012 from Finishing Line Press.
She is the author of two books: What You Long For (Main Street Rag, 2009—short-story collection) and At Home in the Land of Oz: Autism, My Sister, and Me (Jessica Kingsley, 2007—memoir). Her articles and short stories have appeared in a variety of newspapers, literary anthologies, and magazines. Her work has won various awards and grants. Barnhill holds an MFA in Creative Writing from UNC Wilmington. She is married to Frank Barnhill, and they have three grown sons and three very cute grandchildren.
Submissions for this year’s contest must be postmarked by Tuesday, January 17, and mailed to:
North Carolina Writers’ Network
Attn: Rose Post Competition
PO Box 21591
Winston-Salem, NC 27120
Checks should be made payable to the North Carolina Writers’ Network. Winners will be announced in March. Visit www.ncwriters.org for complete guidelines.
Rose Post Creative Nonfiction Competition
Postmark deadline: January 17 (annual)
Submissions Accepted from November 15 – January 17
Eligibility and Guidelines:
- The competition is open to any writer who is a legal resident of North Carolina or a member of the North Carolina Writers’ Network.
- Submit two copies of an original and previously unpublished manuscript of no more than 2,000 words, typed (12-point font) and double-spaced.
- Author's name should not appear on manuscript. Instead, include a separate cover sheet with name, address, phone number, e-mail address, word count, and manuscript title.
- An entry fee must accompany the manuscript. Multiple submissions accepted, one manuscript per entry fee: $10 for NCWN members, $12 for nonmembers.
- You may pay member entry fee if you join the NCWN with your submission. Checks should be made payable to the North Carolina Writers' Network
- Entries will not be returned. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for list of winners.