Skip to content

Who wants a Summer Residency?

After last year’s Fall Conference, I was stopped in the Hawthorne Inn parking lot by a group of Network writers who had attended the 2007 Elizabeth Daniels Squire Summer Residency at Peace College.

They had heard a rumor that the Network wasn’t going to hold the Summer Residency again in 2008, and they weren’t happy about it.  They even suggested that we could pay for the Residency by installing cameras in the rooms and pitching it as a new reality series.

I did not and do not want to know what goes on in those rooms that would make for good reality TV (if that’s not an oxymoron), but I appreciated these members’ passion for the program.  Some people had suggested eliminating the Summer Residency, but I don’t want to touch any Network program that inspires that kind of reaction from our members.

We are, however, planning some changes to this program.  We are shortening the Residency from five days to three, and those three will be a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  We’re doing this to make the Residency more affordable to more writers, and to make it more accessible to writers who work full-time jobs during the week.  Last year’s Summer Residency cost members anywhere from $750 for “commuters” to $950 for a room to yourself ($850 if you shared a room).  We should be able to trim those costs a bit this year.
We are also planning to move the Residency from Peace College to Queens University of Charlotte this year, and then to move it to other venues around the state, as we do the Fall Conference.  Again, our goal is to give more writers the opportunity to attend.

Here’s where we stand: Queens can host the Elizabeth Daniels Squire Summer Residency on July 25 – 27, 2008.  We need to reserve our rooms soon, though.

So here’s our question: How many of you are interested in attending the 2008 Summer Residency?  We don’t need firm commitments (after all, we don’t even have the fees or the faculty confirmed yet), but we do need a good idea so we can make a non-refundable deposit with a clear conscience.

Please let us know, as quickly as you can, whether you’d like to attend the conference, and whether you’d like to stay on the Queens campus or “commute” to classes each day.

You can either leave a comment on the White Cross School blog, or send me an e-mail at ed@ncwriters.org.

Thanks.

- Ed

7 Comments

1. jane penland hoover wrote:

I loved the summer residency program. My funds are very limited now, so likely could not attend – but hope others can – the program has been marvleous in the past.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 5:21 pm | Permalink
  2. jane penland hoover wrote:

would like to but likely can’t -
    wrote message – it said “moderation”???

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 5:23 pm | Permalink
  3. jane penland hoover wrote:

had to log in first – sorry – I’m learning.

Ed, Welcome!
    I love this site – it looks fabulous! Found is easy to naviagate (other than forgetting to log in. Thanks

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 5:32 pm | Permalink
  4. Glenda Beall wrote:

Few members of Netwest take part in the summer residency program. Our members are more interested in how to publish and how to get their work to the places they need to reach. Few can afford to spend a week or even three days there.
    We would rather have NCWN sponsor a weekend or even one day event closer to where we live here in the mountains.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 1:34 pm | Permalink
  5. Leigh Ann Apanites wrote:

I would love to attend a program like this, and hope to one day, but funds probably won’t be available this summer. Three days would be better than five, I believe. I like the rotating location plans.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 6:21 pm | Permalink
  6. I sent a note last fall – in the hope that this summer residency program would continue. (Like so many others, the cost was too much for me.) I asked that the residency move around the state, and it is – but Charlotte is a long hot drive from the Triad. Perhaps Netwest members have a cool suggestion for a summer residency … ? Could we have more than one … ?
    Is there is a committee taking suggestions for the summer residency program? If not, I’d like to volunteer to be on one (and I’ll drive to attend!)
    We have a beautiful state + fabulous NC authors = the perfect draw for writers looking for inspiration AND information to benefit their career … would this would decrease the cost? (maintaining small group workshops, of course.)
    Just an idea …

Friday, April 18, 2008 at 9:37 am | Permalink
  7. Glenda Beall wrote:

One of our Netwest members has wonderful things to say about her week long Summer Residency experience a few years ago. I think it would be a perfect program to move around the state and I think that is what is planned for the future.
    There are many “cool” places to stay in the mountains and to hold the Summer Residency program if it is brought to this area.
    I urge anyone who is close enough to go this year for the short session and I am sure it will be a wonderful experience.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 at 10:21 pm | Permalink