Skip to content

Sign Up Now, and Save These Dates for Later

Early registration for the 2010 Spring Conference ends tomorrow, so sign up now to take advantage of the reduced rate, and to make sure you get into the workshops you want.  A couple of workshops have already filled up, and I’m sure others will, too, before Saturday, April 24.

In case you haven’t seen the latest newsletter, the 2010 Squire Summer Writing Residency will be July 23-25 at Peace College in Raleigh.  Registration for the Residency will open in May at www.ncwriters.org.

Finally, we’re pleased to announce that the Network’s 25th Annual Fall Conference will be November 5-7 at the Omni Charlotte, just off the Square in North Carolina’s largest city.

Now – who can be the first to tell me where the Square is in Charlotte?

7 Comments

1. Would that be the Transamerica Square on (I think) N. Graham, E. Trade, E. 12th, and…McDowell, I think? Not 100% sure what the “official” borders are, but it’s where a lot of the good stuff is located in Charlotte. Not a bad place for a conference. :)

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Permalink
  2. When you write “I think” twice in one sentence, it really communicates that unsure feeling, I think. Wouldn’t you agree? Wouldn’t you?

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Permalink
  3. edsouthern wrote:

No, Veronica, that isn’t “the Square,” though it is a nice area. I think.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 8:39 am | Permalink
  4. edsouthern wrote:

Seriously, y’all? No one knows where “the Square” is in Charlotte?

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 9:59 am | Permalink
  5. When I was a young Charlottean, “The Square” was at the downtown intersection of Trade and Tryon Streets. A wonderful RexAll Drugstore anchored the corner. ~m

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 6:52 am | Permalink
  6. Yes, Ed, the Square is the intersection of Trade and Tryon Streets and is now the heart of the banking industry of Charlotte. When I was growing up in Charlotte, the Square had a “five and dime” store, S.H. Kress, on the southeast corner (now the Bank of America Plaza), a drugstore on another; the Independence Building (a then-huge 12-story high-rise) stood on the northeast corner where the Marriott is now. In my family we remembered the names of the main streets by a realistic mnemonic; Ivey’s Department Store on North Tryon was considered upscale (and they draped their windows on Sundays so good Christians wouldn’t be tempted by the displays); Belk’s Department Store on East Trade was a less expensive place to shop; so, as my mother put it, “We go to Ivey’s to try on (Tryon) and we go to Belk’s to trade.” Thanks for taking me down memory lane!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Permalink
  7. P.S. My forthcoming novel, THE DRY GRASS OF AUGUST, is set in 1950s Charlotte.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Permalink