The North Carolina Poetry Society turned 80 years old in 2012, and we want to wish our friends there happy birthday! Come the end of the month, they’ll be celebrating all weekend long (rightfully so!) with readings in every part of the state.
The festivities kick off with North Carolina’s new Poet Laureate, Joseph Bathanti, reading on Thursday November 29 at the Appalachian State University Bookstore, in Boone.
The remaining six readings will all be held on Saturday, December 1. Each reading will be led by a featured poet to be joined by other poets from their region. The readings will conclude with an open mic. These events are free and all are welcome to attend. As follows:
- Anthony S. Abbott, Morri Creech, Annalee Kwochka, Alan Michael Parker, Dannye Romine Powell, David Radavich, Cedric Tillman and Lisa Zerkle, Myers Park Baptist Church, Shalom Hall, 1900 Queens Rd., Charlotte, 2:00-4:00 pm
- Betty Adcock, Noel Crook, Marylin Hervieux, The Regulator Bookshop, 720 Ninth St., Durham, 2:00-4:00 pm
- Kathryn Stripling Byer, Kathryn Kirkpatrick, Joseph Mills, and Julie Suk, City Lights Bookstore, 3 E. Jackson St., Sylva
- Fred Chappell, Malaika King Albrecht, Terry Kennedy, Valerie Nieman, and John Thomas York, Community Arts Café, 411 W. Fourth St., Winston-Salem
- Peter Makuck and Mark Cox, St. Francis by the Sea, 920 Salter Path Rd., Salter Path
- Shelby Stephenson, Jim Clark and Marty Silverthorne, R.A. Fountain General Store, Corner of NC22 and US 258, Fountain
More information can be found at www.NCPoetrySociety.org.