Applications are due Thursday, December 1 by 11:59pm ET. Click here to visit their website and for more info.
Beginning in 2023, the Whiting Literary Magazine Prizes are shifting to a triennial model: the Foundation will give more, larger prizes each cycle (up to eight from $10-20k vs five from $3-20k) but will hold application cycles less often (every three years). This change builds on what we have learned from the first five years of the program about the value of the cohort model as a peer-learning tool and enables us to expand the professional development opportunities we offer winners as they pursue ambitious goals.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be based in the US
- Have published at least annually for at least the last three years (i.e., at least once in 2020, 2021, and 2022)
- Be a federally-recognized nonprofit classified as a public charity (or be part of a larger organization with that status or be fiscally sponsored by a public charity; note that public universities and nonprofit private universities are eligible parent organizations)
- Be prepared to participate in a learning cohort that comes together for short remote meetings approximately once per month during traditional business hours over the course of the three-year prize period
- Publish writing for adult readers (magazines written for children or young adult audiences are not eligible)
Note that in previous cycles, magazines needed to have an annual budget of no more than $500,000 to be considered eligible. This criterion is not applicable for the 2023 cycle. Magazines of all budget sizes that meet the eligibility requirements above are encouraged to apply.
The selection process involves two rounds of review. Eligible publications are invited to submit an initial application through this Submittable form by 11:59pm Eastern Time on Thursday, December 1, 2022 (please note there will be no exceptions to this deadline; late or incomplete applications will not be accepted).
Applicants will be notified of the results of the first round of review in spring 2023. Those advancing will be invited to submit expanded final-round applications. In recognition of the time and resources it takes to complete the final-round application, magazines selected as finalists will each receive a $250 honorarium. A public announcement of the winners will be made in fall 2023.
Reviewers will consist of diverse experts in the field drawn from all over the country, who will serve anonymously to shield them from any external pressures.
The Foundation will host two online information sessions to answer questions and offer guidance on applying for these prizes.
- Watch a recording of the info session on Thurs, Oct 6 here.
- Register for the info session on Tues, Nov 15 at 2pm ET here.
If you have any questions about eligibility or the application process, please contact us at email@example.com.