Barrelhouse loves to celebrate books just like you do, so let’s do that thing together! We’re interested in running reviews of books that fit Our Whole Thing. You read Barrelhouse, so you know what we’re about. Let that be your guide. And also, these:
Book Review Guidelines:
- Please send us reviews of books other than your own.
- No self-published titles.
- Do not submit work to the Reviews section that is meant for another section.
- Do not submit excerpts or essays based on your own work.
- We prefer reviews that focus on recent (last two years) small press titles—especially debuts—or upcoming titles.
- We’re interested in full-length or chapbook-length collections of poetry & prose. We’re open to memoirs, story or essay collections, even academic works.
- Include publisher, price, page count and word count.
- Include a link to the publisher’s website for purchase.
- Include an image of the cover, if possible.
- We are open to non-standard reviewing forms, as long as it doesn’t distract from the book in question.
- If you’ve previously spoken to our Reviews Editor, Katherine Coldiron, please indicate that in your cover letter.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, but please let us know and withdraw your submission if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- All accepted reviews are subject to editorial suggestions.
- We love you but we do not pay for book reviews at this time.
If you are an author or a publisher who wants to put an ARC into our hands, query first for instructions.