Chapel Hill Community Arts & Culture is looking for the next Chapel Hill Poet Laureate! This position inspires creativity and celebrates community through poetry, public programs, and shared poetry experiences.
The Poet Laureate is an ambassador for poetry by fostering connections to the poetry community and by enhancing the social and civic life of the Chapel Hill community at large.
TERM: Two year appointment (January 2023 – December 2024)
COMPENSATION: $3,000 for a two year appointment, paid in two annual distributions of $1,500
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Poet Laureate will work with Town staff and stakeholders to jointly design a timeline of deliverables during his/her/their tenure. Deliverables may include but are not limited to:
- Write poems for special community occasions.
- Perform at key community moments like festivals, events, and council meetings.
- Create experiences for poetry to be shared in the community.
- Workshops or training opportunities.
- Regularly scheduled meetings.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: 5 p.m. on Thursday, September 8
- Be a poet with little, some, or substantial work published, with active projects in the last five (5) years.
- A personal or professional connection to Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- Residency in Chapel Hill is preferred, but not required.
- Submit application materials using the directions below.
Community Arts & Culture aims to inspire creativity and celebrate community for a better Chapel Hill. We value inclusion, experience, and understanding, and encourage submissions of work to reflect these values.
For more information and how to apply click here.