In our pursuit to celebrate the outstanding poets of our present times, Frontier annually hosts a prize for all poets, regardless of publication history. We invite you to send your best work to the OPEN, our biggest prize of the year! The winning poem will be awarded $5,000 and publication. Deadline July 16, 2023.
In addition to the winner, nine finalists will also receive an award of $100 each with publication. The Frontier editorial team will work together to select winners and finalists for this contest.
While we primarily serve as a platform for new and emerging writers, the OPEN is meant to support and elevate the poetry community as a whole. Every year, we look forward to this prize, for which emerging and established poets are considered in equal measure and as a result are often published side by side in Frontier Poetry.
We’re excited to read your work!
- Submissions are open to all poets, regardless of publication history.
- As part of our dedication to the pursuit of a more inclusive publishing world, we offer a free submission window for BIPOC poets at the beginning of the contest until our cap of fifty. Please note this portal will close when we hit our cap.
- Do not include any identifying information in the body of your document.
- Send up to three poems per submission, for a total of no more than twelve pages. We have no aesthetic or formal requirements and consider all styles of poetry.
- Please submit unpublished poems only.
- We welcome simultaneous submissions, but please notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- You may submit multiple times, but each submission requires a separate $20 fee.
- Please include a brief cover letter that includes a short, third-person bio with your publication history.
- Submissions are open internationally, to any poet writing in English. Inclusion of other languages is welcome, as long as the poem is primarily written in English.
- Winners and finalists will be announced in the fall of 2023.
- Please do not submit work if you have a close relationship with Frontier’s editors.
- If you have any questions, please visit our FAQ page. If you don’t find the answer to your question, you can send an email to contact (at ) frontierpoetry (dot) com.