Location: Carrboro, NC
Pay starts at $15.85/hr after a training period of ~4 weeks at $12/hr.
We’re looking for a smart, enthusiastic reader who wants to develop and grow alongside us. Bookselling requires a wide range of skills and the ability to constantly adapt to unique situations. This is especially true at Golden Fig Carrboro where employees will be expected to manage the space alone occasionally. That means you could be a project manager, receptionist, custodian, designer, buyer, copywriter, and head of customer service all in a single shift!
Training will take place for ~20-25 hours a week at our Durham location before the position becomes full-time upon the opening of our Carrboro location.
Our ideal candidate is someone who:
- Is punctual, detail-oriented, and organized with a focus on cleanliness
- Has a warm and inviting presence with excellent customer service skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment in high-stress, multitasking situations
- Has flexible availability to work nights and/or weekends
- Is comfortable working a register/point-of-sale and learning new software
- Is an independent worker who enjoys community-building
- Has an understanding of, and an interest in, social media for a locally-focused small business
- Is confident in recommending books and is knowledgeable across multiple genres
- Is adaptable with an ability to problem-solve and fill needs as they occur throughout the course of a workday
- Is capable of bearing a physically demanding job (able to lift boxes of books up to 50 lbs, shelve books, move and adjust displays, climb a ladder, be on your feet for most of the day, etc.)
- Loves reading, physical books, and independent bookstores
While it’s not required, it would sure help if you:
- Are seeking a career in the bookselling/publishing industry and interested in learning about larger industry trends
- Want your role/responsibilities to develop and grow along with the store
- Have previous retail and/or bookstore experience
- Are knowledgeable about Microsoft Office, graphic design, or web-building
- Have specialized knowledge in Mystery/Biography/History/Poetry or a particular genre
If you’d like to apply please email a resume to email@example.com along with:
- A short description (~1-2 paragraphs) detailing why you’d like to work at a bookstore (in general) and Golden Fig (specifically)
- A written recommendation (100 words max) for a book that you love!