THE WINNER OF THE PERUGIA PRESS PRIZE RECEIVES:
- Book publication and a $2,000 prize
- Twenty author copies and an ongoing discount of 50% off of the cover price for additional copies
- Time to work with the editor to create a book she loves with input into book editing, design & promotion
- Mentoring from the Perugia Poet Liaison during the publication and promotion of her book
- Review copies and entry copies to a range of post-publication contests, provided and sent by the Press
- Some book launch events planned by the Press, with a partial travel stipend and reading honorariums provided
- Ongoing publicity support through our website, newsletter, and social media
- Exposure through Press attendance at local and national book fairs to promote the work of Perugia poet
Perugia Press, founded in 1997, is a nonprofit press that publishes one beautifully designed book each year: the winner of the Perugia Press Prize, our annual national contest for first or second books of poetry by women. Our mission is to support and promote women’s voices in print, and we aim to expand the audience for poetry by making books that welcome longtime readers of poetry and those new to poetry. We celebrate and promote our poets, and poetry, whenever we can, through social media, and at local, regional, and national book fairs, readings, and events. We also maintain resources for educators who would like to incorporate our books into their curricula. Read our 2022 Annual Report here.
At Perugia Press, we are doing our part to tip the scales of gender inequity in poetry into balance. Our books have won many acclaimed post-publication prizes, including the James Laughlin Award/Academy of American Poets, the L. L. Winship/PEN New England Award, the PEN Center USA Award, and the Publishing Triangle Audre Lorde Poetry Prize, among others.