Deadline: January 8, 2021
Sesame Workshop Writers’ Room is a writing fellowship from the creators of Sesame Street. And we’re looking for YOU! Fresh new writing talent from underrepresented racial backgrounds. Emerging storytellers who are selected to join the Writers’ Room will receive hands-on writing experience guided by Sesame Street veterans and other media industry leaders. Each participant will develop and write a pilot script for their own original kids concept.
The Sesame Street Writers’ Room fellowship is an effort to identify and increase the presence of underrepresented voices in children’s media writing. For this specific purpose, underrepresented groups are those who identify as any of the following: Asian, Pacific Islander, Black, Hispanic, Native American, Middle Eastern, or multiracial.
What Are The Requirements?
All applicants will be asked to submit the following items with their application through their profile on the Writers’ Room portal. For additional questions about any of the requirements, please visit our FAQ page or contact us at email@example.com.
Application Check List
- Application form
- Resume: this can feature your overall work experience, NOT only writing experience
- Personal statement: tell us about yourself, for example, why you want to write for children’s educational media, how your experiences influence the stories you tell, why you value diversity/representation in children’s media, etc. (up to 250 words)
- Original script sample: 11-page maximum, it should NOT contain Sesame Street elements, it can be an excerpt from a larger piece you’ve written, it must be kid-friendly content for viewers up to age 12…we’re looking for great characters and stories that inspire kids to be smarter, stronger and kinder!
- More info on your script: what’s the bigger picture/idea of your script sample? (up to 100 words)
All participants must meet the following criteria in order to qualify for the program. For additional questions about eligibility, please visit our FAQ pageor contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility Check List
- Participants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Participants must be 21+ years old
- Must come from an underrepresented racial group
- No extensive media writing experience, such as having written more than six episodes for a network or cable scripted/narrative series
Participants must be able to attend and complete writing assignments for all 8 sessions, which will be held from May to July 2021.