Playwrights-Now accepting submissions!
Sundog Theatre in NYC is seeking one-act plays for “Scenes from the Staten Island Ferry 2023”
This is Sundog Theatre’s 21st annual presentation of new and original, one-act plays about our favorite boats. We have weathered a lot the last few years, so this year’s theme is “comedy.”
- –Original plays not previously produced or published, with a signed note affirming that.
- 10-25 minutes in length and set on the Staten Island Ferry.
- Set in a contemporary time period. Strong priority given to plays with 2 characters, however, 3-character plays will be considered. No special set pieces other than benches or railings found on the Ferry, as well as limited and easily accessible props/costumes.
- Avoid overt/unnecessary sexual/violence situations and language since we cater to a broad audience.
- No musicals, long monologues, poetry, rants, or verse.
- Please send two hard copies, bound, paper clipped, or stapled. Blind submission (removable cover page with title, author and all contact info) and the name of the play on each page to
Sundog Theatre, “Scenes 2022”, PO Box 183, Staten Island, NY 10301.
- Submissions should include brief synopsis, a 70-word author bio and full resume.
- DEADLINE: Plays must be in our hands from now until no later than December 16, 2022. Latest postmark we will accept is December 15.
- Please do not submit plays electronically. Reasons: hard copies are easier to pass around/make notes on; protects your work; can’t get lost in email chains; easier on the reading eyes; reliable.
- NO SUBMISSION FEE
- Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org. Susan Fenley, Producer
5 – 6 plays will be chosen; writers will receive $200 each and be produced in our series of five, March 2023, in-person performances in Staten Island.
Playwrights of selected plays will be contacted directly and their names listed on Sundog’s website early in 2023.