Deadline: May 31
- The playwright identifies as a woman, inclusive of cis and trans women.
- The playwright has not had more than two productions at LORT or off-Broadway theaters, including different productions of the same play. The playwright may have been produced at other professional or nonprofessional theaters.
- We define “production” as one in which actors were off-book and the play was open to be reviewed.
- The playwright is a citizen or resident of the United States.
- We welcome writers of all faiths, cultures, backgrounds, and racial and ethnic identities.
- The play celebrates, explores, and/or struggles with the complexities and nuances of the Jewish experience.
- We encourage plays which authentically represent characters and experiences of racially and ethnically diverse Jews, as well as explore the historic and present-day intersections of white Jews and Black, Indigenous, and Peoples of Color.
- The play is unproduced at the time of submission; plays with currently scheduled future productions are still eligible.
- The play is a complete, full-length work for the stage.
- The play is in English, either in composition or translation.
- Adaptations must diverge substantially from any copyrighted source material.
- Musicals, plays with music, short plays, and plays for young audiences are not eligible.
PLAYWRIGHT SELF-SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- Submissions are accepted online at https://forms.gle/pHyMuxzB5KVmBMmg9
- All materials must be electronic files; either Adobe Reader (.pdf) file formats or Microsoft Word (.doc).
- Submission must include a resume demonstrating eligibility for the Abramson Prize.
- Highlight any LORT or off-Broadway productions of your plays, including different productions of the same play.
- Please confirm in the submission that the play you are submitting has not yet had any professional productions (currently scheduled future productions are still eligible).
- Submission must include the following information:
- Playwright’s name, pronouns if comfortable including, and contact information
- The title and a synopsis of the full play
- A 10-page excerpt of the play that includes your name, contact information, and the title of the script.
- Developmental workshops or public readings, national tours, international productions, or nonprofessional theaters do not determine eligibility.
The Theater J Patty Abramson Prize
Please do not send full scripts. We will contact you if we would like to read more.