WVU Press is currently accepting applications for a Managing Editor. The Managing Editor will schedule, supervise, and manage WVU Press books (up to 20 books and 12 journal issues published each year) from transmittal of approved manuscripts to hand-off to design and production department, working with freelancers, production staff, and student workers as appropriate. This position manages WVU Press journals (up to 12 journal issues per year) working with packagers as appropriate and engages in record keeping and some copyediting/proofreading. This position supervises graduate assistants/interns.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee copyediting of WVU Press books and journals; ensure scholarly standards for all WVU Press books and journals manuscripts (up to 20 books and 12 journal issues published each year). Hire and supervise freelance copyeditors.
- Provide editorial guidelines to freelancers; review editorial changes.
- Communicate and coordinate with authors–discuss copyediting changes and queries in order to finalize text.
- Check all graphic elements for legibility and for capability to reformat from existing electronic form; work with authors to amend any identified problem areas.
- Troubleshoot and resolve difficulties that may arise during editing process.
- Prepare manuscript for production process, including marking manuscripts with type specifications as necessary. Coordinate with individual journal editors on schedule for copyediting and communications with authors; keep editors to delivery date of final proof to ensure on-time publication of books and journals.
- Work with other Press staff members in projecting publication schedule.
- Monitor editorial schedules and keep other staff informed of scheduling changes. Ensure that all necessary copyrights for images have been obtained.
- Work with director to consider proposals for new journal acquisitions. Manage permission and reprint requests for journal permissions.
- Serve as main liaison with journal editors on delivery schedule and contractual issues.
- Hire and supervise freelance proofreaders for journals. Provide instructions and guidelines to freelancers; review edits; finalize text.
- Give final approval to book and journal text before printing/final production.
- Supervise editorial work of graduate assistants/interns assigned to assist with editorial support tasks.
- Proofread and edit internal documents, catalogs, marketing materials as needed.
- Serve as primary liaison with journal partners for distribution of journals in electronic and print formats.
- Document EDP workflow and maintain current workflow checklists and style guides.
- Work with marketing staff to review and maintain editorial standards on wvupress.com and marketing materials.
- BA or BS Degree Required.
- At least two (2) years of relevant publishing experience.
- Demonstrated familiarity with practices and conventions of scholarly writing and publishing.
- Demonstrated familiarity with copyediting conventions and style guidelines (MLA and Chicago preferred).
- Demonstrated supervisory skills appropriate to assign, evaluate, and correct work by others.
- Demonstrated proofreading ability.
- Demonstrated excellence in personal communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communications.
- Master’s degree.
WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year or more based on years of service
- 18 sick days per year
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks
- Wellness programs