If you’ve published a book through Amazon’s CreateSpace and / or Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP), then you no doubt noticed last fall when Amazon announced they were merging the two publishing arms.
Prior to this merger, an author worked through CreateSpace to publish hardcopies of their books and through KDP to offer electronic versions. This meant keeping track of two separate dashboards (two separate websites, actually); multiple file uploads and design specs; and kind of an all-around headache for each individual title.
While the merger makes it more convenient for authors to publish new work and manage the work that’s already out in the world, the process of merging one’s CreateSpace account with one’s KDP account has not been without some challenges for many authors.
As best as we’re able, we offer here the steps you need to take in order to merge your CreateSpace and KDP accounts. Good luck!
- Go to www.createspace.com.
- You’ll be asked to enter the e-mail associated with your CreateSpace account, with a little blue submit button on the left.
- Once you submit your e-mail address, check your e-mail. You will receive an e-mail from CreateSpace.com to “Complete Your Transfer to KDP.” (This may take a few minutes.)
- Open the e-mail. Click “Verify Your Info.”
- This will take you to a page where you can make sure your books are all there. Scroll down that page, and you’ll need to follow simple directions to log-in to your KDP account with your username and password.
- Do so.
- Once you do that, you want to hit the “link accounts” button (something like that). After a few minutes, you’ll be looking at your new dashboard with all your books and account information.
- Don’t forget to bookmark this page so you can easily find all your account info in one place next time!
It took our communications director about three minutes to complete this process for his one title.
Still, pitfalls abound. For example, be sure that all your web-browsers are updated and that you have the latest version of Java installed, otherwise some of these steps won’t work.
Need help? Go to: https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help?ref_=TN_help.