From our friends at the North Carolina Poetry Society:
RALEIGHâ€”The North Carolina Poetry Society (NCPS) has announced the names of its 2019 adult poetry contest winners. Winning poets will receive cash prizes and their poems will be published in the annual anthology, Pinesong.
Winning poets have been invited to read at Sam Ragan Awards Day at the Weymouth Center for the Arts and Humanities in Southern Pines on Saturday, May 11, 2019. All poetry lovers are invited to attend.
The Poet Laureate prize was awarded by North Carolina poet laureate, Jaki Shelton Green, to Maureen Sherbondy for her poem â€œGretel.â€
Other first-prize winners are [NCWN members in bold – ed.]:
- Jane Shlensky (Bahama, NC), â€œA Short History of Mysteryâ€ â€“ Alice Osborn Award (poems written for children ages 2-12)
- Crystal Simone Smith (Durham, NC), â€œslave museumâ€ â€“ Bloodroot Haiku Award
- Benjamin Cutler (Whittier, NC), â€œSpeak of Riversâ€ â€“ Carol Bessent Hayman Poetry of Love Award
- Alan Michael Parker (Davidson, NC), â€œVirtual Villanelleâ€ â€“ Joanna Catherine Scott Award (traditional forms)
- Don Ball (Raleigh, NC), â€œThe Grammar of Kissingâ€ â€“ Katherine Kennedy McIntyre Light Verse Award
- Les Brown (Troutman, NC), â€œI Am from Black Earthâ€ â€“ Mary Ruffin Poole American Heritage Award
- Pam Baggett (Cedar Grove, NC), â€œStampedeâ€ â€“ Poetry of Courage Award
- Benjamin Cutler (Whittier, NC), â€œThe Church of Unmakingâ€ â€“ Poetry of Witness Award
- Barbara Blanks (Garland, TX), â€œTime Lines,â€ Ruth Morris Moose Sestina Award
- Les Brown (Troutman, NC), â€œBathing and Grabbling on a Hot Summer Dayâ€ â€“ Thomas H. McDill Award
The complete list of judges and winners can be found on the NCPS website (https://www.ncpoetrysociety.org/2019-adult-contest-winners/).
About the North Carolina Poetry Society
The North Carolina Poetry Society is an all-volunteer organization especially for poets and friends of poetry. We have over 450 members from North Carolina and numerous locations beyond. The North Carolina Poetry Society serves its membership by offering opportunities to study the craft of writing poetry; to participate in contests and competitions; and to enjoy a meaningful connection with poets throughout our state.