The North Carolina Arts Council is now accepting submissions for the state’s next poet laureate, the “ambassador of North Carolina literature.” Submissions will be accepted throughÂ Friday, April 20Â at www.ncarts.org.
From the press release:
The poet laureate receives a $15,000 annual stipend along with programmatic support from Arts Council staff. While each N.C. poet laureate leaves his or her own personal imprint on the program, duties typically include public activities with schools, community groups and the press, and contact with writers and readers by mail, email and/or through a website.
The selection criteria for the poet laureate position include:
- A North Carolinian with deep connections to the cultural life of this state
- Literary excellence of the writer’s work
- Influence on other writers and appreciation of literature in its diversity throughout the state
- Ability and willingness to conduct the public engagement duties of the office
- Statewide, national or international reputation
The current poet laureate is Cathy Smith Bowers. Past poet laureates include Kathryn Stripling Byer and Fred Chappell.
For the full press release, or to submit a nomination, click here.