On the one hand, yes, absolutely, this completely seems like an unnecessary holiday. But on the other hand, any excuse for celebrating the written word, right?
Coming hot on the heels of National Poetry Month (and not to be outdone), International Short Story Month takes the entire month of May to ponder, share, explore, and honor fictional gems, that all-too-often underappreciated format, the very soul of brevity: the short story.
For the full rundown on Short Story Month, head on over to www.shortstorymonth.com.
Short stories are exciting, moving and unexpected. They make you think. They are like little puzzles to be solved. Short stories can blow away the cobwebs of your thinking in a few short lines.
We’re celebrating in a few different ways, including:
- Checking out new releases from Press 53, an NC-based publisher that specializes in short fiction (and poetry)
- Spending $0.99 on a Vintage Short or two from Knopf-Doubleday
- Listening to the LeVar Burton Reads podcast (THE LeVar Burton, people!)
- Reading the daily story at Story magazine
- Reading the daily story at Akashic Books
- Following the #ShortReads hashtag on Twitter
- Signing up for the International Short Story e-mail list
And of course, we’ll be revisiting our favorite short-story writers, from NC and beyond!
Who are some of yours?