Representation Readers can examine members’ unpublished work for characterizations that seem inauthentic or undeveloped. They can advise writers on how to create accurate and deeply imagined dialogue, descriptions, settings, plot points, and more. All Representation Reads are conducted under strict confidence: Representation Readers will not share the contents of a manuscript or their critique, unless they feel someone’s personal safety is threatened.
The fees for a Representation Read are the same as for other C&ES submissions. All manuscripts, print or electronic, must have a minimum of 5 pages.
- Pages 1 – 50: $4 per page
- Remaining Pages: $3 per page
- Administrative Fee: $30 for printed submission, $15 for electronic submission
NCWN members seeking a Representation Read will follow the same instructions as for other C&ES submissions:
- All prose manuscripts—submitted electronically or in print—should be double-spaced, with 1-inch margins and in 12-point, Times New Roman font. Printed prose manuscripts must be single-sided.
- All poetry manuscripts—submitted electronically or in print—must be single-spaced, with a limit of only one poem per page, with 1-inch margins and in 12-point, Times New Roman font. Printed poetry manuscripts must be single-sided.
- Stage plays and screenplays—submitted electronically or in print—must be submitted in proper format. Guidelines for stage plays and screenplays can be found here (courtesy of Story Sense) and here (courtesy of Writopia).
- Page number and your last name should appear on each page.
- Printed manuscripts must NOT be bound when submitted, except with a paper or butterfly clip.
- Electronic manuscripts must be submitted in Word (.doc, .docx), with a file name that includes your last name & at least part of the work’s title (i.e., Wolfe_LookHomeward.docx).
- Printed manuscripts must include two cover letters: one that lists the manuscript’s title, genre, and page count, as well as your top two choices (see list below) to critique its representation; and another giving the reader a brief synopsis of the manuscript’s contents, as well as what aspects of representation most concern you.
- Electronic manuscripts should include the second cover letter described above, for the Representation Reader’s reference. This cover letter should not be included in the total page count. The information described in the first cover letter will be collected by the online registration form.
- Submit electronic manuscripts by completing the online registration form first, then attaching the manuscript (in Word) to an e-mail addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Critiquing & Editing Service” or “C&ES” in the subject line.
- Submit printed manuscripts, including check or money order made payable to NCWN, and SASE for return of critiqued manuscript, to:
NCWN Critiquing Service
P.O. Box 21591
Winston-Salem, NC 27120
C&ES Representation Read Submission Checklist
- Your manuscript, properly formatted
- Cover letter(s) with required information (1 cover letter if electronic; 2 cover letters if printed)
- Completed online registration form, with payment by VISA, MasterCard, or Discover, if electronic
- Manuscript e-mailed to email@example.com, as Word attachment with proper file name, if electronic
- Payment by check or money order, made payable to NC Writers’ Network, if printed
- Self-addressed envelope (SASE) with sufficient postage to return your manuscript, if printed
If you have any questions, please call 919-308-3228 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.